Gajar Ka Halwa Recipe
Making the famous Pakistani dessert referred to as gajar ka Halwa recipe (a.k.a. Gajar Ka Halwa in Hindi or Gajrela in Punjabi) is so easy while you operate my distinct step-through-step manual and video!
Whether you’re making it the use of the traditional stove top method, or taking a few shortcuts through the use of milkmaid, khoya, or the Instant Pot. Have you ever covered all with specific step-by-step pictures on this beneficial gajar ka halwa recipe post sharing 4 versions or ways to make this decadent sweet? I always love to make Gajar Ka Halwa Recipe in winter.
What is Halwa
The word halwa comes from the Arabic word for “sweet,” and refers to desserts that are cooked with ghee and sugar. Whether made with noodles (vermicelli), lentils (moong dal), grains (like semolina), or vegetables (like carrots or beets), Indian halwa is a pudding this is delectable.
Contrary to famous belief, Indian halwa isn’t like Middle Eastern halva, which is a sweet made in general from sesame seeds.
Halwa is a yummy dessert, which is reserved for celebratory occasions. It isn’t hard to make, however, it does generally tend to take a bit of time. If you’d want to make Gajar ka halwa recipe extra of an everyday occurrence, remember the use of one of my genius shortcuts listed under!
What is Carrot Halwa
Carrot halwa is a famous sweet made in North India, and it’s miles in particular famous throughout winters. The traditional gajar ka halwa recipe is made with the best carrots, whole (full-fat) milk, ghee, and sugar, there’s no want for khoya (evaporated milk solids) or condensed milk.
If you decide on the use of both khoya or milkmaid (sweetened condensed milk), skip to the correct section to analyze how!
I choose to use red Delhi carrots to make the halwa, as they’re tender and juicy. That said, you could use any carrots – red, orange, or maybe black – as long as they’re now no longer fibrous, stringy, or hard.
One of the motives that I love making carrot halwa is that it has quite a long shelf life. I could make a batch that’ll be remaining for upwards of 10 days inside the fridge, which means we usually have something sweet to snack on after our meals.
Gajar ka halwa Recipe Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you need to make this delicious and very stunning Gajar ka halwa recipe.
- 1.5 kg carrots – approximate 9 cups tightly packed grated carrots
- 6 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1.5 to 2 teaspoons cardamom powder or 8 to 9 green cardamoms – powdered in a mortar-pestle
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk – I used nestle milkmaid, 400 grams
- sugar as required, optional
- ⅓ cup cashews
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
How To Make It
Prep and Grate Carrots
- First rinse 650 grams of carrots (8 to 9 medium-sized soft, juicy carrots or 6 to 7 long carrots) some instances in water.
- Drain the water. Peel the carrots with the use of a vegetable peeler. Set the peeled carrots aside.
- Ensure that the carrots are juicy and soft. You should use any type of carrot (red or orange), however, they ought to be soft.
- Next, grate the carrots with a field grater or in a meals processor. You can measure the grated carrots with a standard measuring cup, and you’ll want approximately four to 4.5 cups of grated carrots.
- Grating carrots in a meals processor is a lot less difficult than grating with a field grater or a handheld grater.
- Cook Carrots
- In a heavy kadai or wok, upload all the grated carrots.
- Pour in 4 cups of full-fat milk. Switch the burner.
- Mix the grated carrots and milk together.
- Cook this aggregate on low-medium heat. After some minutes, the milk will start to froth after which begins slowly reducing.
- Keep stirring this halwa mixture often, scraping the perimeters of the kadai to put off the evaporated milk solids. Stir the milk solids into the cooking aggregate.
- Cook the carrot and milk mixture till the liquid is reduced to 75%.
- Make Gajar Halwa
- Add 4 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter). Note that a little milk can be there while you add the ghee.
- Mix very properly.
- Next, add 10 to twelve tablespoons of sugar, or to taste.
- Add cardamom powder – 5 to 6 inexperienced cardamom pods powdered finely in a mortar-pestle, or about ½ to one teaspoon of pre-ground cardamom powder.
- Mix very properly.
- Continue to simmer on a low flame, stirring often.
- Simmer until the gajar ka halwa mixture begins off evolved to thicken and decreases extra. Stir at intervals.
- When the halwa has decreased to a pudding-like consistency, add nuts and the dry end result of your choice. I actually have delivered 12 cashews, 12 almonds, and a couple of tablespoons of golden raisins.
- Mix once more and keep to stir and simmer.
- Simmer until the halwa mixture will become dry. The milk ought to evaporate absolutely and you’ll see the best milk solids inside the mixture. You will even see a few ghee being launched from the perimeters.
- Remember to scrape the milk solids caught at the perimeters of the kadai or pan and add them again to the carrot halwa. Some moisture is likewise best inside the halwa.
- Serve Gajar ka halwa heat from the pan. Refrigerate any leftovers, warming them earlier than serving. Garnish with a few chopped dry end results whilst serving.
Storing Carrot Halwa
Here are some tips to store your delicious and very tasty Gajar ka Halwa recipe.
Refrigerator: You can shop the carrot halwa inside the fridge. It remains properly for approximately 10-12 days, however, it in no way lasts that long in our house. When serving from leftovers, simply heat the halwa after which serve.
Freezer: Large quantities of carrot halwa may be made and frozen. Gajar halwa continues properly inside the freezer for approximately a month.
Buy the pleasant carrots: It is crucial to shop for soft and juicy gajar ka halwa recipe in order that they’re smooth to grate. Prepare yourself for an arm workout, until you’ve got a meal processor. Even still, you’ll want to hold on to stirring them at everyday intervals. Small and medium-sized carrots are most effective for large carrots, which could come to be woody and tough.
- In the cold winters of North India, carrot halwa is pleasantly served hot.
- You could have Gajar halwa chilled in case you decide on it. It is a private preference, just like a few people decide on pudding hot whilst others decide on it cold.
- In a few restaurants, they serve a mixture of carrot halwa with vanilla ice cream. Believe me: this mixture tastes good. It’s like carrot cake pudding a la mode!
Serve and enjoy with your family and friends. You must try this delicious and yummy Gajar Ka Halwa Recipe, it never disappoints you to make this. What do you say about this delicious and flavorful Gajar Ka Halwa Recipe?